What to do in the event of bereavement
- Notify one of the burial offices IMMEDIATELY and leave a contact phone number.
United Synagogue Burial Office - 020 8950 7767
If the Burial Offices are closed and you would like to speak to someone, please call 07957 119 119 (this service is not available on Shabbat or Yomtov)
- Notify BES office - 020 8386 5227.
- Obtain a death certificate from the doctor or hospital, stating the cause of death.
- Take the death certificate to the Registrar for Births and Deaths. It must be the Registrar in the vicinity where the death occurred.
- Phone the Burial Office once you have been issued with the relevant documentation. The burial office will advise what to do next.
- Once funeral arrangements have been made the burial office will contact the Synagogue Administrator who will assist with shiva chairs and prayer books and liaise with the Rabbi about the funeral and shiva.
- Speak personally with the Rabbi about the funeral service and shiva arrangements.
- Notify family and friends of the arrangements.
We also have available a booklet containing more information on what to do, and some notes on the various laws, customs and traditions concerning death, burial, shiva and mourning.
US Women have published a downloadable booklet Women Mourners: A Guide to Kaddish and Mourning.
For more general information, please visit the Bereavement section of the United Synagogue website.
The BES Community Care service offers support to members who have been bereaved. Find out more here.
Burial in Israel
The United Synagogue has made arrangements for its members who wish to be buried in Israel, and have produced a booklet detailing the Halachic
and practicalities of this.
You can read this here.
Please click if you would like